Regularly the sunniest place in New Zealand and voted the 3rd most charming small town in the world by TripAdvisor. Once folks find Nelson they tend not to want to leave – unless they’re off on a great South Island road trip of course! Even Gandalf, Sir Ian McKellen called it a perfect paradise, and it’s no more than a 80 minute flight max from New Zealands international airports. Nelson is a small city but we think small is definitely beautiful. Here are our recommendations, personally tried and enjoyed, that are well worth making time for.
- Cruise in your RentAClassic convertible or go for an evening stroll along Rocks Road SH6 by the sea.
- Relax and swim on the long sandy family friendly Tauhuanui beach
- Ogle the boats moored at the the marina
- Wine and dine in some of our myriad open air cafes and restaurants such as
- Morri St for breakfast.
- DeVilles for a hearty outdoor lunch.
- Melrose House for high afternoon tea.
- The BoatHouse for dinner over the water.
- Cod and Lobster for evening cocktails.
There’s a seriously vibrant arts and culture scene, with the small but perfectly formed Theatre Royal, an eclectic Saturday morning market, and the Classic Car Museum is a must see for classic car buffs, abounding with all sorts of desirable vehicles (but of course you get to leave in one with RentAClassic)! Plus there are myriad vineyards with tasting and restaurants, genuinely friendly locals and the best of everything New Zealand within easy driving reach. On the northern side there’s the delightful Cable Bay with its stony but crystal blue beach and fabulous coastal hill walks. Alternatively, stay close to the CBD and do the short(ish) climb to the historic Centre of New Zealand overlooking the birthplace of New Zealand rugby, the city and seascapes.
Our RentAClassic base is conveniently located within just 10 minutes of the centre or the airport so it’s really easy to collect and drop off your classic car.
Read our TravelBlogue on why Nelson makes the perfect base for touring, or visit www.nelsonnz.com for more information.